When you join CommStar Credit Union, you become part of a family dedicated to service and financial wellness.
Becoming a member is easy! Click the “Join Now” button to launch our quick and easy online application process. You can apply for membership, open your account, and fund your account with this fast, completely online application! You may also visit any CommStar location to apply in person.
Are you eligible for membership at CommStar Credit Union?
Many people think only employees of a certain company or industry can be a member of a credit union… But did you know CommStar Credit Union is a community credit union? That means membership is open to anyone who:
- Lives in Lorain County
- Works in Lorain County
- Worships in Lorain County
- Attends school in Lorain County
- Employees of a company participating in CommStar’s CU@Work or Select Employer Group programs
- Immediate family members of existing CommStar Credit Union members
What do I need to open an account at CommStar?
CommStar members must meet any of the eligibility requirements listed above. Whether you open your account online on in a branch, you will need the following information:
- Valid Photo ID
(driver’s license, state issued photo ID, military ID)
- Social Security Number (online only)
- Social Security Card (in-person only)
- Valid secondary form of ID
(current utility bill, birth certificate, college photo ID card, military ID card, valid major credit card, employer identification card)
- At least $5.00 for your share account
(This amount remains on hold as your share in the credit union)
If a physical Social Security Card is not available, you must present one of the following:
- A soft-pull of credit verifying your Social Security Number; or
- A credit report for loan applicants, co-applicants, or co-signers verifying your Social Security Number; or
- Letter from Social Security Administration; or
- Completed and signed IRS form W-9; or
AND one of the following:
- Birth Certificate; or
- College photo identification card; or
- Major credit card; or
- Currently utility bill from place of residence; or
- (Elderly or disabled persons exception) Social Security certification, Medicare, Medicaid, or other insurance card along with another document that contains both your name and current address.
We are proud to partner with many companies, cities and other local establishments for our CU@Work program. CU@Work offers many great benefits to the employees of participating establishments. If you qualify, please select the CU@Work option when you open your account online. A Member Service Representative will follow up with you once your application is complete to collect some additional information to help you take advantage of this program’s benefits. If you open your account in person at one of our branches, please either bring your CU@Work card (available in your employer’s HR office), or mention your employer.
Member Referral Program
If you were given a member referral program card by a friend or a family member, or were referred by one of our members, make sure you select the Member Referral option when verifying your eligibility when you open your account online. Disregard any other criteria you qualify for. A Member Service Representative will follow up with you once your application is complete to verify the member referral and get you on the road to your reward! If you open your account in person at one of our branches, please either bring the blue and green member referral card, or mention who you were referred by.